behalf of the local congregation . . .
William Allen Wilson was the pastor of the Church of God, located
at 6th and W. Locust Streets, for 29 years. During that time,
the congregation greatly multiplied in number, and he directed
the building of the new church adjoining the old structure.
Wilson was born January 1, 1885, in Rocky Fork. He was the son
on John E. and Electa (Miller) Wilson. In his early years, Brother
Wilson was a farmer.
November 11, 1908, Nora Elizabeth Davis was united in marriage
to William Allen Wilson, both of Rocky Fork. To
this union was born four daughters and one son.
In 1921 Brother
Wilson was called to the ministry and spent four years as pastor
of his home church. He was ordained August 17, 1925, and accepted
a call to the Church of God, where he served until his death.
many years Brother Wilson had a vision of a camp ground for the
Church of God in the Newark area. His vision became a reality
in September of 1954 when a tract of land, later to be called
"God's Acres," was purchased from Raymond Marriott.
Wilson often expressed that he would not live to see the grounds
put into God's service, and so it happened. Stricken with a heart
attack shortly after he retired Saturday night (11:30 p.m.), October
2, 1954, Brother Wilson, age 69, was called home to his eternal
reward. He apparently had been in his usual health that day. The
congregation was shocked and grieved at his sudden passing. He
left a memory as Paul, the Apostle, of one who "was not disobedient
to the heavenly vision."
were his widow, the former Nora E. Davis; daughters, Mrs. Carl
McKnight, Mrs. Homer Kelley, Mrs. Howard Prior, Mrs. Gilbert Swartz;
one son, Emerson Wilson, of the home; also fourteen grandchildren
and one great-grandchild; three brothers, John, Edgar, and Arthur
Wilson. Two sisters are deceased.
funeral service was held the following Tuesday at 2:30 p.m. Brother
E. M. Berry of Bridgeport officiated and burial was in the Rocky
site is dedicated to the glory of God and maintained by
. . .